Illustrative ‘Rural Communities and their Development’ Research Themes/Projects
- Undertaking Ireland’s National Rural Network Co-ordination so as to facilitate stakeholders and interested groups in achieving better outcomes across all the measures under the Rural Development Programme 2014-2020 (Dr. Maura Farrell, Dr. Marie Mahon and Dr. John McDonagh) see below for further details...
- Investigating routes to fostering innovation in rural areas which enhance the role of institutions, networks and research centres (Dr. Maura Farrell, Dr. Marie Mahon and Dr. John McDonagh)
- Investigating power and interest representation in EU meta-governance structures, taking a specific focus on agriculture and rural development (Dr. Áine Macken-Walsh)
- Investigating routes towards diversification of the agricultural population (Dr. Anne Byrne, Dr. Peter Cush, Dr. Áine Macken-Walsh)
- Rural collective action in the West of Ireland (Dr. Tony Varley and Prof. Chris Curtin)
- Common pool resource theory and Connemara aquaculture (Dr. Peter Cush)
A team involving Dr. Maura Farrell (NUIG lead), Dr. Marie Mahon and Dr. John McDonagh from NUIG, along with Irish Rural Link (consortium lead), The Wheel and Philip Farrelly & Co. has been appointed for a 5 year period to run Ireland’s National Rural Network (NRN). The new consortium will be responsible for facilitating all stakeholders and interested groups in achieving better outcomes across all the measures under the Rural Development Programme 2014-2020 (RDP). The broad remit of the network is as follows:
- Increase the involvement of stakeholders in the implementation of rural development. This will involve public authorities, economic and social partners and bodies representing civil society at national and local level;
- Improve the quality of implementation of rural development programmes;
- Inform the broader public and potential beneficiaries on rural development policy and funding opportunities. This will include the sharing of information via the European Network of Rural Development and the European Innovation Partnership (EIP-Agri Service Point);
- Foster innovation in agriculture, food production, forestry and rural areas.